Submissions for the 2018 NG Prize in Poetry will be open from January 15 to April 1, 2018.
Submit one previously unpublished poem of no more than 1,000 words via our Submittable portal on or before April 1st, 2018.
1st Prize will receive $400 and publication in Barely South Review.
2nd Prize will receive $100 and publication in Barely South Review.
The 2018 NG Prize judge is LUISA A. IGLORIA, who is the winner of the 2015 Resurgence Prize (UK), the world’s first major award for ecopoetry, selected by former UK poet laureate Sir Andrew Motion, Alice Oswald, and Jo Shapcott. She is the author of the chapbooks Haori(Tea & Tattered Pages Press, 2017), Check & Balance (Moria Press/Locofo Chaps, 2017), and Bright as Mirrors Left in the Grass (Kudzu House Press eChapbook selection for Spring 2015); plus the full length works Ode to the Heart Smaller than a Pencil Eraser (selected by Mark Doty for the 2014 May Swenson Prize, Utah State University Press), Night Willow (Phoenicia Publishing, Montreal, 2014), The Saints of Streets (University of Santo Tomas Publishing House, 2013), Juan Luna’s Revolver (2009 Ernest Sandeen Prize, University of Notre Dame Press), and nine other books. She teaches on the faculty of the MFA Creative Writing Program at Old Dominion University, which she directed from 2009-2015. www.luisaigloria.com
COMPETITION RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
• Entries must be sent electronically through Submittable
• Reading fee: $10.00 US dollars
• This international prize competition is open to all writers who write in English, except MFA Creative Writing students at Old Dominion University. No translated works will be accepted.
• All submissions must be original and previously unpublished (print, blog, or web publications included).
• Format and Manuscript Length: A clean, typewritten or computer-processed (12 point font, double-spaced, one-inch margins all around) copy of the entry must be submitted (up to 1,000 words).
• Entry must be paginated with no identifying author information on the manuscript pages.
• Entrants may submit more than once to the competition, as long as an entry fee of $10 accompanies each individual submission.
• Electronic Submission deadline is Midnight, April 1, 2018; results announced in May.
• In the event that the judge does not deem any submissions worthy of the prize, Barely South Review reserves the right to extend the call for manuscripts or to cancel the award in a given year.
The 2017 Norton Girault Literary Prize in Nonfiction: