Submissions for the 2018 NG Prize in Creative Writing will be open from January 1 to April 1, 2018.
Submit one previously unpublished short story of no more than 5,000 words via our Submittable portal on or before April 1st, 2018.
1st Prize will receive $400 and publication in Barely South Review.
2nd Prize will receive $100 and publication in Barely South Review.
Our judge for the 2018 Creative Writing Contest will be announced in December 2017. The 2017 NG Prize judge was Karen Salyer McElmurray. Karen writes both fiction and creative nonfiction. Her memoir, Surrendered Child, won the AWP Award Series for Creative Nonfiction and was listed as a “notable book” by the National Book Critics Circle. She is also the author of Strange Birds in the Tree of Heaven (University of Georgia Press), a novel that won the Lillie Chaffin Award for Appalachian Writing and, most recently, The Motel of the Stars, part of the 2009 Linda Bruckheimer Series from Sarabande Books. Her work has received numerous awards, including grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the North Carolina Arts Council, and the Kentucky Foundation for Women. She is frequently a visiting writer and lecturer at a variety of programs and reading series.
COMPETITION RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
• Entries must be sent electronically through Submittable
• Reading fee: $10.00 US dollars
• This international prize competition is open to all writers who write in English, except MFA Creative Writing students at Old Dominion University. No translated works will be accepted.
• All submissions must be original and previously unpublished (print, blog, or web publications included).
• Format and Manuscript Length: A clean, typewritten or computer-processed (12 point font, double-spaced, one-inch margins all around) copy of the entry must be submitted (up to 5,000 words).
• Entry must be paginated with no identifying author information on the manuscript pages.
• Entrants may submit more than once to the competition, as long as an entry fee of $10 accompanies each individual submission.
• Electronic Submission deadline is Midnight, April 1, 2018; results announced in May.
• In the event that the judge does not deem any submissions worthy of the prize, Barely South Review reserves the right to extend the call for manuscripts or to cancel the award in a given year.
The 2017 Norton Girault Literary Prize in Nonfiction: